Sedation with AQUI-S® can be used prior to and during delousing treatments with pyrethroids, organophosphates and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and amoebic gill disease (AGD) treatments with freshwater.
AQUI-S® sedation during treatments in well boats has been used in Norway since the summer of 2013. Experience is growing in the field and AQUI-S® sedation is now widespread in the application. Fish show reduced activity, reduced oxygen demand and reduced drug uptake (greater drug safety margins). Cortisol in the plasma is also reduced and as such the immune system will be maintained, growth hormones unchanged and post-treatment mortality reduced.
Further studies in controlled systems in 2014 showed that AQUI-S® sedation also reduces unwanted uptake of the treatment drug and as such reduces the risk of associated drug over doses.
Based on practical experience, we can give the following recommendation for AQUI S® sedation during well boat treatments:
1. Load the well and let fish settle for 30-60 minutes before water intake closed and AQUI-S® added
2. Use 2.4 ml AQUI-S® per m3, depending on the desired level of sedation
3. Always make stock solution of AQUI-S® before addition o The stock solution should be 1:10 o Ensure the stock solution is adequately mixed and a white emulsion is formed. If well boat has its own tank for mixing of drugs this could be used
4. Add the AQUI-S® using the onboard dosing system or add manually throughout the wells
5. Wait 10-15 minutes after addition of AQUI-S® stock before the treatment is added. If freshwater treatment of AGD is being used add the AQUI-S® before the fish are added
6. Perform the treatment as normal
7. Slightly increased foaming can be expected and can be dealt with using AQUI-S® Antifoam
o Lab scale
• Tank trial (UTAS, Australia, 2011; AGD treatment with Fresh Water)
• Tank trial (ILAB, Bergen, 2011; Salmosan, Betamax, Alphamax, peroksyd)
o Small scale
• Small sea cage (Helgeland aquaculture station, 2013; Alphamax saman with Salmosan)
• 25 x 35 meter pens (Rogaland, January 2014; Trident)
• 25 x 35 meter pens (Rogaland, February 2014, the Trident)
o Full scale trials
• 160 meter polar circle x 3 (Sør-Trøndelag, February 2014, peroksyd)
• 160 meter polar circle x 2 (Hordaland February 2014, peroksyd)
• 120 meter polar circle x 2 (Nord-Trøndelag, April 2014, peroksyd)
Looking for more information?
Contact our helpful team today for the perfect solution for your particular needs.