Results from the studies show clear reduction in stress hormone release. The studies also indicate that oxygen consumption is lower and that there is less activity during the treatments. Sedation can also reduce mortality and increase the safety margin during treatments. When chemicals are used, it is clearly demonstrated that the amount of chemical taken up by the fish is significantly reduced thus decreasing the risk of overdose.Based on practical experiences we can provide the following recommendations for sedation when disease treating in a cage environment:
1. Set the tarp as normal.
2. Add AQUI-S® in the final stages of setting the tarp.
3. Use 3-5 ml of AQUI-S® per cubic meter of water (for example, the lowest dosage: 24 liters to ~8 000 m3).
o A 10:1 AQUI-S® stock solution should be made before the tarp setting process has started.
o Mix the solution for at least 3-4 minutes so you get a suitable emulsion. A drill with paint stirring attachment is effective.
4. Once the AQUI-S® stock has been added the operator should wait 10-15 minutes before the disease treatment (H2O2, Salmosan etc) is added. I.e. add the AQUI-S® in the final stages on the tarp being set.
5. The fish will not loose equilibrium from the anaesthetic, they will continue to swim however noticeably slower and more spread throughout the water column.
6. Add the treatment chemicals and treat as normal
o Lab scale
• Tank trial (UTAS, Australia, 2011; AGD treatment with Fresh Water)
• Tank trial (ILAB, Bergen, 2011; Salmosan, Betamax, Alphamax, peroksyd)
o Small scale
• Small sea cage (Helgeland aquaculture station, 2013; Alphamax saman with Salmosan)
• 25 x 35 meter pens (Rogaland, January 2014; Trident)
• 25 x 35 meter pens (Rogaland, February 2014, the Trident)
o Full scale trials
• 160 meter polar circle x 3 (Sør-Trøndelag, February 2014, peroksyd)
• 160 meter polar circle x 2 (Hordaland February 2014, peroksyd)
• 120 meter polar circle x 2 (Nord-Trøndelag, April 2014, peroksyd)
Looking for more information?
Contact our helpful team today for the perfect solution for your particular needs.