AQUI-S® improves the welfare and quality of lobster and other crustaceans when used at any stage of the live transport process. Crustaceans such as lobster and crabs are typically wild-caught in pots or nets, then live-stored in holding tanks for several days before being graded, packed in waterless shippers and air-freighted to their final destination. All stages of this process are stressful for the animals and can result in limb loss, mortalities and severely weakened animals. The end result is reduced quality at the market and reduced market value.
Industry Reported Benefits - AQUI-S®
- Improved survival during transfers and post-transfer
- Faster pack-outs with reduced labour costs
- Reduced limb loss post-transport
- Reduced overheads due to reduced use of chilled water
- Extended transfers through reduced metabolic activity allowing access to otherwise untapped and potentially more lucrative markets.
- Better survival post-transfer
- Reduced cannibalistic nature, especially in some crab species
AQUI-S® sedated crustacea are easier to pack, meaning less force is required thus reducing the likelihood of limb loss and other damage to the animals. There is also a reduction in packing time, reduced requirement for chilling and improved packing efficiency allowing packing of more animals per transport unit.